Doesn't support VS2012 Express

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Edited Oct 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM

The patcher currently isn't working with VS2012 express editions as they have no edition key in the registry. Could you possible update it so that it detects express editions if the VS2012 registry key exists without an edition subkey? Looking at the source code, there may be a similar issue with VS2010 Express, but I'm not using it so I don't know what registry keys it uses.

Thanks.

For anyone using VS2012 express editions, you can make this fantastic tool work by navigating to the following key with regedit:

HKLM\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing\11.0

creating a new key called "Professional", running the patcher, then deleting the key you just made.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Afraid this fix doesn't work - I've got VS2010 Express and VS2012 Express installed in the default locations and the error I get is "Unable to find an installed edition of Visual Studio 2010".

FWIW on my system (Win7 x64 Home Premium) the Registry Key you gave doesn't exist - however HKLM\Microsoft\DevDiv\vc... does.

I've a feeling the Express Editions will require a considerable re-write of this great tool before we amateurs can enjoy its benefits:(

Oh well, back to 2010...