Also replace icons in toolbox and menu (all that apply)?

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Is it possible that you can implement replacement of more icons, not just for Project Explorer? (examples: toolbox, menu, form designer)

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Version 1.5 added in toolbox icons (HTML & Win Forms only) along with some of the menu and toolbar icons. There are two types of resources that need updating which are managed resources (.NET DLLs) and unmanaged resources (native code DLLs). The icons that have been updated so far are all from unmanaged DLLs because there's an API for that in Windows. There's no built-in way to update managed DLL resources.  I do have some very early test code that patched one of the managed SQL DLLs (photo here) but it needs a lot of work to be used elsewhere.

As far as I can tell all the unmanaged resources are updated and the remaining are managed resources. These are harder due to being saved in different formats between versions or even different locations. These will have to be done one file and icon at a time. This was going to be implemented next but it's on hold while I try to make these icons work with dark themes.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Wish you good luck with discovering all managed components responsible for icon display. You could probably ask Microsoft, directly or not, to cut time required in the order of magnitude. For instance, there should be some MVP available out there and willing to help.

Regarding dark theme part, I'd like to point out that users of Visual Studio Icon Patcher probably don't care about much about themes that come with VS 2012 (either light or dark). They just want 2012 to look like VS 2010 so probably will switch to Blue theme already available as part of theming addon/extension. I might be wrong, so let other people comment on that.

Thanks for your effort!